The 3rd Onam recipe is Olan. Olan is prepared by adding coconut milk into the ash gourd & beans cooked soup. I used canned beans as it was easy to use & easily available in the supermarket. I used the small kidney beans, you can use any variety from pigeon, black eyes or pinto. This is how I made Olan.
Serves: 8 people
Making time: 30 - 40 minutes
- Black-eyed beans (vanpayar) - ½ cup (I used 1 tin Canned beans)
- 2 cups Ash gourd cut into cubes
- 4 Green Chili slit lengthwise
- Water - 2 cups
- 1 tin Thick coconut milk around 1 cup
- Curry leaves
- 2 tbspn Coconut oil
- 1 tspn Mustard seeds & 3 red dried chili for tempering
- If you are using raw beans, then you will have to soak them for atleast 4 hours & pressure cook them until its soft.
- Cook together ash gourd, green chilli, salt and 2 cups water, till ash gourd becomes tender. Again, ash gourd also should not be overcooked and it should retain its shape.
- Add the cooked beans/ washed canned beans to the ash gourd and mix well. Add coconut milk and curry leaves. Cook on low flame for 5-7 mins.
- In a small tempering pan, add 1 tbspn coconut oil , once its hot add mustard seeds, red chilis allow it to splutter. Turn off flame, Now add curry leaves into it & pour the tempering on the cooked Olan.