Here is another Yummy Onam recipe "Inji Puli" This is one of my favorites & I love anything that has a good balance of flavor. A very easy & simple recipe. It can be made in big quantity & stored for many weeks. This goes best with steamed rice & eaten in small quantity like pickle. This is how I made it...
- Ginger - 3/4 cup skin peeled and finely chopped
- 7 Green Chillies chopped
- 1/2 tspn Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tspn Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsn turmeric powder
- 1 tspn chili powder
- Tamarind - gooseberry sized ball or 2 tbsp tamarind paste (1/2 cup water)
- Crushed Jaggery 1.5 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1/4 cup
- Red Chillies - 2 broken
- Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup of warm water,set aside.Wash ginger, peel off the skin and chop it finely. Then trim the edges of green chillies and chop it finely too.
- In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
- Then add ginger and green chilies and fry till nicely browned along with fenugreek seeds. Then filter and add tamarind water , turmeric powder, chili powder & salt as per taste.
- Allow it to boil for few mins until raw smell leaves. After it starts to boil simmer and allow it to thicken more like a thokku.
- Once it starts to thicken add jaggery and let it boil until oil separates.
- Allow it to cool down then store in a clean bottle. This will last for 1 week outside in an airtight bottle. Mine however got over in a days time.