( The cake in the above picture is upside down & you can see the flower nail on top)
I lately realized that I haven't uploaded a basic Vanilla sponge cake recipe in my blog. This is a basic cake recipe that I use for all kind of cakes as a base. You can use the same recipe & add different flavors . For example: Add instant coffee powder to make a mocha sponge cake, Strawberry essence or puree for Strawberry sponge cake.
Long time ago I had read in a cake form that, adding a flower nail in the center of a round pan will rise the cake much taller than the regular height. That's why I decided to try it myself & see. I was so happy to see my cake taller & I could cut them into 2 layers & make a tall cake. This is a great tip for all bakers. Here is a very simple recipe & I am sure you will never go wrong.
Makes 1, 7 inch or 8 inch round tall cake
Total Time required: 45 mins to an hour
Baking time: 30- 45 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 70 gms butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tspn Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp curd/ Yogurt (Full fat)
- 1 Tspn Baking powder
- 1/2 tspn baking soda
- 8 Inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- OTG Baking oven
- 1 large cake mixing bowl
- Electric beater
- flower nail
- Sieve the dry ingredients & keep aside.
- seperate the eggs yolks from glare
- Cream the butter, egg yolks & powdered sugar for about 2 to 3 mins. Untill its fluffy
- Add in salt, Vanilla essence, curd, 3 tbsp water & all the dry ingredients to this mixture & mix well.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks in a separate bowl.
- Now fold in the egg white into the cake batter with a spatula & give it a gentle good mix, so everything is combined. Do not over mix. You can do this with a spoon or a spatula.
- Prepare the baking Pan by greasing it with butter & line the parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.
- Now place the flower nail in the center of the baking pan.
- Now pour the cake batter into the pan & pat the cake pan on the counter top to release any air bubbles.
- Bake this in a preheated oven for about 35- 45 mins at 180 degree. Or until toothpick insert comes out clean.
- Remove the pan outside & allow it to cool down for about 20 mins. Now slowly invert the pan & remove the cake from the pan gently. Once the cake is completely cooled, pull out the flower nail carefully & set aside