Jalebi is one of India's most famous sweet. This is also called as street food as many street food vendors make it hot & sell on road side. I remember having these every time I visited commercial street in Bangalore. The parallel street of commercial street has a line full of street food shop. I used to love the dosa, Idli & paani poori stall there too. Today I am sharing an instant Jalebi recipe which is adopted from Madhura's recipe. This Jalebis are very easy to make & gets done under 10 mins.
Makes: 15- 20 Medium size Jalebis
Making time: 10 mins
serves: 6 people
- 1 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
- 3/4th cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbspn lemon juice
- 1 tspn plain curd (Yogurt)
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1 tspn Eno (Fruit salt)
- Orange or yellow color
- 1/4-1/2 cup water for flour
- 2 cups of Oil for deep fry.
- Make a sugar liquid with 1/4 cup of water & 3/4th cup of sugar in a heavy bottom Pot. Add 1 Tbsp of Lemon juice into it. The liquid should reach 1 thread consistency. Once done turn off the flame & set aside
- In a bowl mix Flour, curd, salt, color, lemon juice & water. This paste should be of dosa batter consistency.
- Finally add in Eno into this batter. While adding you will notice that the batter will start bubbling. Give it a good mix & the batter is ready
- Prepare a Ziploc bag, piping bag or a empty ketchup bottle.
- Fill the piping bag with this batter & make a small hole on the tip of the bag.
- Now drop the jalebis into the hot oil in circular motion to get the shape of the jalebis.
- Deep fry them for about a minute or 2 on medium heat. Once fried remove from oil & set aside on a paper towel.
- Now just dip each jalebis one at time into the sugar syrup gently. Make sure the sugar syrup is coated on both sides of the Jalebis. Now set aside the Jalebis & continue this process for all the Jalebis.
- Once done put the Jalebis in an airtight box or serve them hot.
- I used Piping bags to fill the Jalebis. Zip lock bags works great too.
- 1 string consistency is when you put the sugar syrup between your thumb & index finger it should form 1 thread .
- Adding color is optional. I used my icing gel color. I added about 3 drops of orange color.