Todays Recipe is the most wanted recipe by many of my friends. This is a Coorg Pork curry recipe. (Pandi Curry). Any one who tastes this dish will never forget it in their lives. I wouldn't be wrong if I said that this is the best Pork preparation in the world. What makes this dish very unique is the Black Fruit Vinegar called as "Kachampuli" in Coorgi language. This savory Black vinegar gives that color & a unique taste to the dish. This Vinegar/ sauce is available only in Coorg. You can still make this dish without this sauce & it will still taste good. Back in Coorg my Pappa used to buy Pork in large quantity (Like 3 to 5 kgs) My mom used to cook in in a big Kadai (Pan). The older the curry got the tastier it used to be. The Pork curry used to last for 4 to 5 days & we used to have it for Breakfast, lunch & dinner . We Coorg people never get tired of Pork. This curry goes very well with Akki Roti & Kadambittu. The recipe for Rotti & Kdambittu will be uploaded soon :) This is how my Mom makes this dish .
- 1 kg pork. (1/4 kg fat+1/4kg ribs+1/2 kg Loin (boneless)
- 3-4 Tbspn Pork Masala
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 Cup roughly chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Garlic pods
- 1 Large onions roughly chopped
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp. Red chili powder
- 5 green chili
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper powder
- 2 Tspn Kachampuli or 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice/ Malt vinegar
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
Pork Masala for 1 kg Pork
- 2.5 tbsp. Coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp. Black peppercorn
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 8 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom Pod
- Cut Pork into small pieces, wash the Pork well & set aside.
- In a Heavy Bottom Pan/Kadai add just the Pork belly piece which has fat & keep sautéing for about 5 to 7 minutes. This process will release some amount of fat/oil from the Pork & this fat is just enough to cook the pork.
- Now add in rest of the pieces into the pan along with ginger, garlic & onions. Give this a good mix, close a lid & cook for another 5 to 10 minutes sautéing in between.
- At this stage you will see that the water is slowly draining off, so add in about 2 cups of water, Pork Masala, chili powder, turmeric powder close lid & slow cook for about 35 to 40 mins or until the Pork is cooked.
- Make sure the water is all dried off & the pork is cooked well.
- Garnish the dish with Coriander leaves & its ready to serve.
- You have to use Pork belly fat pieces for Coorgi Pork dish, if not this dish will not taste as good as its suppose to.
- In case you are using Boneless pieces only, then make sure you add a Tbsp. of cooking oil to sauté the meat.
- Kachampuli is available only in Coorg. If you don't have it you can replace it with 1/2 tsp. Tamarind Extract or squeeze in lemon juice just before serving the dish.
- In the U.S you get Pork in different parts & I take 1/2 of fat & 1/2 of boneless pieces.
- There might be many versions of Coorgi Pork curry recipes on the net but trust me, This recipe is the best & my Mom is the greatest chef I have known:)