I am so happy that my lill one (ZB) is slowly getting to like cakes & asking for it more often. Cherry & I love cakes. We both can never say no to baking/eating:) Now the lill one also has joined the club I must say. Well my hubby loves to eat the batter which I don't & I recently figured out that ZB also loves doing it.
You must have recently seen my recipe post on Pound cake & this post gave a lot of traffic to my blog which I am very happy. Daily I could see around 2000 odd visitors in my space. This cake indeed is now a favourite one at home. Yesterday ZB started asking for cake early in the morning. He was like... I want cake, i want cake, Mamma I wanna eat a cake in his American accent:). Now, that was all enough for me to get baking. Initially thought will bake some cup cakes, then the Pound cake craving in my head kept popping up. Instead of making the same plain one, thought will make a marble cake with chocolate combination. I followed the same recipe as my earlier Pound cake recipe with just by adding some coco powder.
Serves: 25- 30 pieces
Making time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1:30minutes9.5 inch Non stick Bunt cake pan
- 2 sticks (220 gms) , softened, plus additional for buttering pan
- 3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring) plus additional for
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 (powder it)
- 7 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup Milk/ or
- 1 Tspn
- : a 10-inch (4 1/2 inches deep; not with a removable bottom) or a 9.6 - 10-inch bunt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity)
- 4 Tbspn Coco Powder
- Put oven in middle position, for 10 mins
- Generously and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour.
- Sift together sifted flour (3 cups) and salt into a bowl. Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will have been sifted 3 times ).
- Beat together butter (2 sticks) and in a with an electric handheld beater at medium until pale and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down side of bowl, then beat at medium-high speed 5 minutes. Batter will become creamier and satiny
- Now Remove 1.5 cup of batter into a bowl & mix in the sifted coco powder into it. Mix it well with a spoon or hand whisk to ensure the batter is smooth. Keep this chocolate batter aside.
- Now spoon the half of plain batter into pan and tap pan against once or twice to eliminate air bubbles.
- Now fill the chocolate batter in a piping bag & fill it on top of the plain batter around equally. Tap pan against the work surface again once or twice.
- Finally add in the remaining plain batter equally on top of the chocolate batter.
- Place pan in oven and turn to 350°F. Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or a little longer depending on your oven.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of cake, then invert rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely.
- I used the piping bag to spread the chocolate batter because I wanted the batter to spread evenly. You can also use a spoon which can be a little messy.
- There is no levelling agent used in this cake as the eggs do the job. This cake might have some eggy smell so if you don't like the strong smell, I suggest you add some extra Vanilla essence or any other you may like.
- I made my own cake flour. 1 Cup all purpose flour minus- 2 tbsp flour + 2 tbsp corn flour makes 1 cup of cake flour.
- Since I am new to my oven in my new home, I am still experimenting on the temperature. I kept my cake at 220 degree & I felt my oven's 350 was very high. So if you are friends with your oven you already know how she works:) If not, you might need to talk to her & experiment:)
- I love the texture & taste of the cake. I am sure this is the cake you will fall in love with.
- Since I dint have whipping cream, I used milk this time in my recipe. I could see the light difference in taste nevertheless this was also good. If you are looking for super tasty cake then go for whipping cream only:) Which I will do it again all the time.