Aloo Gobhi (Cauliflower & Potatoes stir fry) is a very common Indian Vegetarian dish. Most of you must be making this dish at least once a week. Some times we become so bored with the same old recipe. Although I like the regular Aloo Gobhi, I decided to give it a twist by changing the process of making this dish. I must say that this new dish was absolutely yummy & very different. I will call this dish "Aloo Gobi Tikki", as the recipe is almost the same but method of making is different. This dish can be made for daily meals or even on a special occasion. Since most of my friends keep asking for new vegetarian dishes, I thought will experiment something new. This is how I made this...
Making time: 30- 45 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1 medium size Onion chopped
- 2 riped large tomatoes pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 Large potatoes (1.5 Cup of chopped potatoes)
- 1.5 cups chopped cauliflower (Almost 1/2 of medium size cauliflower)
- 2 Tbspn chopped Cashew nuts
- 1 Tspn Cumin seeds
- 1.5 tbspn Kashmiri chili powder
- 1/4 Tspn Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tspn Garam Masala
- 3 Tbsp Plain flour
- 2 Tbsp of Cheddar cheese (Optional)
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- salt as per taste
- 5 Tbsp Coriander leaves for garnish
- In a microwave safe bowl add in chopped cauliflower, potatoes with 2 cups of water & cook it for about 10-12 minutes. (Either set baked potato option or boil vegetables option in your microwave) If you don't have a microwave just boil it on the stove top until its cooked.
- Once the Aloo Gobhi are cooked, drain water (stock) & set aside the Aloo Gobhi to drain completely. Save the drained water (stock) for the gravy.
- Make a paste of plain flour with few tbsp of stock & set aside.
- In a bowl slightly mash the Aloo Gobhi with a fork. Let the Aloo Gobhi be a little coarse.
- Add in to the mash Aloo Gobhi 1/2 Tbsp of chili powder, pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tspn garam Masala powder, salt , 3 Tbsp coriander leaves, cashew nuts, Plain flour paste, cheese & mix well.
- In a Paniyaram Kadai add few drops of oil into each section. With a spoon pour this Aloo Gobhi mixture into each section & cook this on low flame for about 3 minutes on each sides. Keep rotating to make sure its cooked evenly. (You will need help of 2 spoons to rotate the mixture) Once this is cooked remove & set aside.
- For the Gravy: In a Pan add 2 tbsp of oil, fry cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste for a minute, add in onions & fry them until they are translucent.
- Now add in the tomato puree, Kashmiri chili powder 1 Tbsp, 1/3 Tspn Turmeric powder, 1/2 Tspn Garam Masala Powder & salt as per taste. Close lid & cook until fat separation on low flame. This process should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the gravy is done add in some stock as required. I added 1/2 cup & bring this to a boil. Now add the fried Aloo Gobhi Tikki & give it a gentle mix. Do not over mix as the Tikki's might break off. Finally garnish the dish with coriander leaves.
- If you dont have a Paniyaram Pan you can make the tikkis on a Tava.
- You need not add cheese, I simply added as I had a good stock of grated cheese.
- This dish goes well with both rice & Rotis.
- I have taken step by step picture for the Tikkis.
Gobhi Manchurian gravy