It is snowing in Austin which is very unusual. It seems it snowed almost after 5 years. Its is very very cold outside & we have stayed indoors for the last 3 days. We have now moved into our new apartment & I am busy unpacking things.
I had enrolled Zion to a play school last week & he goes there 3 days a week. Day 1 he was excited to go to the school & in the evening when I went to pick him up he was OK, but I knew he was not very happy. The next day he kept saying "No school Mama".. "no school.. But still I had to send him:( Day 2 & 3 he was crying in the school & somehow he doesn't like to go to school. This week I dint send him due to bad weather & the lill boy is all happy at home troubling me:)
Coming back to today's recipe, Mushrooms are very versatile & just a pinch of salt/pepper is enough for it to taste great. Mushrooms are very easy to cook & they get done fast too. I make Mushroom Chili quite often as it can be done very quick. This is a simple recipe just the way I make chili chicken. There are recipes where Mushrooms are deep fried & then put in the chili sauce, but in my recipe I haven't deep fried them. You can call this a healthy chili Mushroom. This is how I made these.
Making time: 20 mins
- 2 pack White Button Mushrooms
- 1 medium Onions layered & cut
- 3 Tbspn chopped Garlic
- 4 Tbspn Soya Sauce
- 2 Tbspn water
- 1 tspn or more Red chili powder (Kashmiri/Paprika)
- half Green Bell pepper (Capsicum) Cut into cubes
- 4 Tbspn Cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- Wash/ clean the Mushrooms & Cut them into quarter (1 mushrooms into 4 pieces)
- In a Non stick Pan or wok add 4 Tbspn oil & shallow fry the mushrooms along with some salt until all the water is drained off & the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Remove mushrooms from the pan & set aside.
- In the same pan you will have the left over oil. Just incase the oil is drained off, add in another 2 tbspn of oil & fry the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the layered onions & fry them until translucent just for about 2 minutes. Now turn off the heat & add in soya sauce, chili powder & 2 Tbspn water.
- Add in the shallow fried Mushrooms in the pan along with the Green bell pepper & give it a good mix. Now turn on the heat, Close lid & cook this for just a minute or 2 on medium flame. The chili mushrooms are ready to serve.
- If the Muhsrooms are really small you need not cut them into quarter. Since mine was medium size, I cut them.
- A good soya sauce will be salty & tangy so you need not add in lemon juice. In case you don't have a good quality soya sauce then you might want to add in some lemon juice for a lill tanginess.
- Turning off heat after adding soya sauce is very important or else the sauce will drain off.
- Capsicum/bell peppers are added in the end so that they are crunchy. Make sure you don't over cook them.
- The step by step picture was taken when I made from one packet of Mushroom. The recipe above is for 2 packs of Mushrooms. In case you are making for 2 or 3 people, Then 1 packet is more than enough & just add half the quantity of ingredients mentioned above.
The last step where water, Mushrooms & Capsicum is added is missed out in the step by step picture:(