Makes 15 donuts
Preparation time: 15 mins
Total making time: 1 hour
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tspn Yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbspn sugar
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 3 Tbspn melted Butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
For the sugar glaze
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 6 Tbspn hot water
- 1/4 tspn Vanilla essence
- 1 Tbspn melted Butter
- Place the yeast, water and 4 tablespoon of the sugar in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes. The mixture will start to foam (bubble), indicating that the yeast is active.
- In a bowl add milk, melted butter, salt, eggs & mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour make a well in the centre. Add the Milk mixture & yeast mixture in the centre & mix the dough well until a sticky dough forms.
- Bring the dough together by kneading on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until it feels smooth and elastic when pressed.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until 1 cm (1 1/2 inches) thick. Use a round cutter & cut rounds. With a help of essence lid Cut a small hole in the centre of the cut rounds.
- Place on try lined with baking paper, cover with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the doughnuts few at a time for 1 minute each side or until golden. Drain briefly on paper towels.
For the sugar glaze
- Mix warm water, Vanilla essence, melted butter to the icing sugar until its melted & sticky. If you feel the glaze is runny, add some more icing sugar until you get the right consistency.
- Pour the glaze into a shallow bowl. Dunk the doughnuts, let any excess glaze drip off, and then transfer them to a wire rack placed on a baking sheet or over a sheet of parchment paper to rest until glaze sets
- The donuts are ready & it tastes best when eaten fresh & warm.
- If you have left over donuts, you can store them in a airtight container. Just microwave it for 10 seconds before you eat.
- If you want you can add any color to the sugar glaze.