I have mentioned this earlier too that I am not a Ice cream fan. However I have 2 die hard ice creams fans at home:) My hubby & my lill one. I recently figured it out that Zion loves ice cream a lot. I microwave ice cream for 10 seconds & serve Zion. So that way its kind of room temperature & not very cold for him. Well ever since I tasted Dulce De leche ice cream at Baskin Robbins, I had decided to make this at home. The taste is very similar to Honey niut crunch ice cream which is our home fav. Since I have already made dulce de leche previously for for Banofee Pie recipe, it was easier for me to transit this to ice cream. Now most of you must have already seen my Vanilla ice cream video recipe & you all know how easy it is to make home made ice cream without a machine. For this particular recipe I have not used eggs nor custard, Instead I used Corn flour. The ice cream turned out too too good. Even though I don't like ice creams, I had a large scoop on the "cheat "on Saturday. Since I am on my own protein diet, I had decided to have 1 cheat day in a week. So last Saturday was last week's "cheat day":). Its very easy to make this recipe & you can make the Dulce de leche the previous day & keep. This is how I made it.
Making time: 30 mins
Total set time: 6 to 10 hours
Serves: 10 people around 10- 12 medium scoops
- 1 Tin Condensed milk
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbspn corn flour
- 4 tbspn water
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1 Tbspn Vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds or any dry fruit of your choice
- Step 1:In pressure cooker place the condensed milk in a bowl with water covered till the neck of the tin. Cook this for about 30 - 45 mins without the whistle. Just cover the whistle hole with a small bowl. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can use a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the cooker is cooled, remove it carefully & place it under the running water to cool.
- Once its cooled remove the tin cover & keep it in the fridge for it to cool for some more time. The consistency should be thick, when you scoop a spoon & place it up side down it should not fall off suddenly.
- Make a paste of corn flour & water. Set this aside
- Simmer a cup of milk on low flame & now add in the corn flour mixture to this & keep stirring until it thickens.
- Turn off the flame, add in Vanilla essence, salt & Dulce De leche to this mixture. Use a hand whisk or spoon & mix this well so that it is smooth & well blended. set this aside to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in whipping cream, icing sugar & whip this until soft peaks.
- Now add the Dulce DE leche mixture into the whipping cream mixture & whip it for a minute with a electric beater
- Transfer this mixture into a air tight container & freeze this for about 2 hours. After 2 hours whip this mixture for 2 minutes with an electric beater & refreeze it again. Continue this process for 2 times in total after every 2 hours interval.
- Add in the chopped nuts after the 2nd time whipping & freeze it for 4 to 6 hours to set completely.Now the ice cream is ready to serve.