Poori is a fried flat bread & a very famous Indian breakfast. This is famous all over India be it south or north. However there are also some different version of pooris in different states like the stuffed pooris. This one is a simple one & tastes great. Since this is deep fried, I rarely make pooris for breakfast at home. This is my hubby's fav & when made he will have at least 8 to 10:). He loves to eat with mixed fruit jam after he is done with curry. I was not too sure to post this recipe or not coz this is very very simple. Since I wanted to have a good options for breakfast in my recipe index, I am posting this.
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (or as needed for taste)
- 1/2 cup water (as needed to make a pliable dough)
- In a mixing bowl mix in wheat flout & salt.
- Now add in water as required & make a soft dough kneading it continuously for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make small balls out of it. You can decide don the size of pooris depending on the size of your pan.
- Now with a rolling pin, roll the small dough thin & flat. Sprinkle some flour on top so that it doesn't stick. Now remove any access flour & drop it in the hot oil.
- Once you drop it in oil, make sure you keep pouring the hot oil on top of these pooris so that they puff up. Just 30 seconds is all that you need to get these cooked & puffed.
- Now they are ready to eat.
- Make sure you make many flat pooris so that you can fry them faster back to back.
- Do not let the rolled pooris sit long outside as they will get hard & crack.
- You have to fry them in hot oil like we do for Papads
- These are best with Potatoes Peas curry.