Mangalooru Bajji or Goli Baje is another fried snack that is very famous in the Mangalore region. These are also available in most of the udupi restaurants in Bangalore. This was also one of the snacks my mom used to make for us. The best Goli baje's I have had is in coorg. There used to be a small canteen by name Kumar Vilas & my Pappa used to parcel some from there & get it. These were so delicious that my sister & I used to fight for major share. Back in Mangalore during our college days along with Buns, we used to order this one too. Hot baje's were served with coconut chutney & these were like KFC burgers to us. These are easy simple to make & a very good evening snack with some filter coffee. This is how I made them:
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1/4 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1.5 Tbspn Coconut (chopped)
- 1 Tspn Cumin/Jeera Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbspn Green Chili (finely chopped)
- 6 to 8 curry leaves chopped
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Make a batter with all the above ingredients. The batter consistency should be as thick as cake batter.
- Let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes
- You can wet your hands & drop a small portion of batter in the oil to get those perfect round shapes.
- Zion was in my hand while I was making these, so could use my hands.