coming back to today's post "Butter chicken" This is one preparation I make more often but always at night for dinner. Since i make it at night, I never was able to take a decent click of this dish. Although this one also was made for dinner but I prepared it in the evening so I got some evening light to click some ok ok shots. I somehow find it very difficult to take curry shots. I always try to give a very close up shot for my food coz I really want people to see the real texture & colour of food. I don't spend much time in plating it but concentrate more on getting the right texture of food. BTW food photography is not my cup of tea but since i love cooking, I am slowing learning to take better pictures. I feel very good when someone complements my food pictures & blush:) This is the best Butter chicken, very creamy tasty & yummy.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
servings: 4 people
- 1 large onions chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tbspn ginger garlic paste
- 500 gms boneless chicken cubes
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 Tbspn coriander powder
- 1/2 tbspn cumin powder
- 1/2 tbspn chili powder
- 1/2 Tspn garam masala powder
- 1/2 Tbspn kasoori methi
- 1 Tspn cumin seeds
- 2 Tbspn thick curd
- 1/4 tspn chili powder
- 1 Tspn lemon juice
- 1 cup hot water or more if required
- salt as per taste
- 1 tspn sugar
- coriander leaves & green chili's to garnish
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Marinate the chicken in curd. salt & 1/4 tspn of chili powder for at least 2 hours.
- In a pan add a tbspn of oil & fry the chicken cubes until all water is drained off or 80 % cooked. Once cooked set the chicken aside.
- Soak cashew nuts in hot water for at least 20 mins & then make a paste of it.
- Boil chopped onions in 1 cup of water until they are translucent & make a paste of this.
- Soak the tomatoes in the hot water, peel the skin & puree the tomatoes in the blender or mixer.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add oil fry cumin seeds for few seconds. Now add in ginger garlic paste, onion paste & tomato puree.
- Cover the lid of the pan & cook this on low flame for about 5 to 6 minutes. Add a little water if required.
- Now add in all the masala's except kasoori methi & saute well. Throw in 1 tbspn of butter & sugar now in to the pan. Mix this well & keep sauteing for around 3 to 6 mins
- When the raw smell goes off & when you see fat separation, you can add in cashew paste & 1/2 cup of hot water. Saute this for a minute until its well combined.
- Finally add in the cream, chicken, Kasoori methi, lemon juice & mix well. Cook on low flame for about 5 mins.
- Close lid & allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes before you dig in:) Add more water if you want.
- Garnish the dish with coriander leaves, chopped green chili's & some fresh cream.
- Make sure you keep the pan closed or else you will have a messy kitchen.
- You can add in some red colour if you want. This will make the chicken look like the restaurant style.
- Always cook the chicken seperately in a pan or you can even bake them at 250 degree for 20 mins