A very good family friend/ relative were here with us last night to spent some time over dinner. BTW This is the friend from whom I got inspiration to try my hands on cake decoration. She had made my baby shower cake 2.3 years ago. She is very good at cake baking & decoration. She now lives in Bangalore & does cake deco as profession. You can also check her fb page Cakes & bakes. Well for the dinner I made many dishes. Let me tell you one by one now. For the kids it was Chocolate Oreo Milk shake with Vanilla ice cream, Cashew nut Pakoras, Puff pastry fingers, Prawn Manchurian in Thai chili sauce, Coorg style Biriyani, Chicken Sukka, Neer Dosa, Onion Yogurt Raita, Gooey Brownie with Home made Vanilla ice cream. Since I was busy with cooking I could hardly take pictures of these. Some of the recipes are already there in my blog.
Yesterday I went to the market to pick up Prawns &I found this Jumbo fresh Prawns. They were like $25 per kilo & I got 12 pieces in a kilo. I felt it was a very good deal coz in supermarkets these cost $40. I was contemplating as to make Ghee roast or some indo Chinese style. Since I have served ghee roast in the past to this friend, thought will make some Indo style Prawns. This was really yummy & definitely a crowd pleaser. Fortunately I had one last piece left in the fridge & I photographed it today. That's why you will see an orphan Prawn:) This is how I made them
- 12 Piece Jumbo Prawn cleaned
- 1/4 Cup Corn Flour
- 1/4 cup Plain flour
- 1/2 cup Plain flor for dusting
- 1 Tspn Oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp Thai Chili Sauce
- 1 Onion chopped
- Handful of spring onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp Ginger minced
- 2 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Tspn Knnor all seasoning powder
- 1/4 Tspn Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tspn red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp corn flour for making the paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for Deep frying
- 2 Tbsp oil for stir frying
- Salt as per taste
- Clean & devain the prawns. Make a deep cut on the back of the Prawn (Like Butterfly)
- Make a loose batter with 1/4 cup corn flour, salt & 1/4 cup plain flour
- In a plate spread 1/2 cup of plain flour which will be used for dusting the prawns in the next step.
- Now dip each prawn in the flour Batter & dip it in the plain dry flour. shake the excess flour & deep fry them in hot oil for 2 to 3 mins. Fry all the Prawns & set this aside
- In a large Pan/Wok add 2 tbsp oil, fry ginger, garlic & onion until translucent
- Combine soya sauce, Oyster sauce, Thai chili sauce, chili powder, black pepper powder & all seasoning powder
- Now add in 1/4 cup of water to this sauce & bring this to a boil
- Make a paste with 1 tbsp corn flour & 1/3 cup of water. Add this paste to the boiling sauce. (This will thicken the sauce) Keep stirring while you do this.
- Finally toss in the fried prawns & spring onions. Give this a good mix & its ready to serve
- Add salt as per your taste if required coz soya sauce does contain a lot of salt.
Here is the Chicken Sukka & Coorg style chicken Biriyani recipe.