Singapore is a big food hub. It has people from across the countries & it showcases a wide varieties of cuisines. There are places to eat from $2 - $100. If you walk in to any Hawker centre (food court) you will get to see a variety of local & Asian cuisine. One of the very famous & expensive dish is Singapore Chili/Pepper Crab. There are many places here that sells the best crab in town. Most people love to dine either at the Seafood beach restaurants, famous ones like Long Beach &Jumbo sea food. If you go around Clar quay or Boat quay, there are a lot of restaurants around the river that serve fresh live sea food too.
The crab dish rates starts from somewhere $50 - $800. Since I make very good crab dishes at home, we never felt the need to eat it out much. Like the chili Crab these Pepper crabs are also very famous. I made this one couple of days ago & I loved these more than the Chili crab. The heat from black peppers are not so intense like the fresh chili's. They were very easy on the tummy & with no after effects:) While researching for recipes, I found one here @My singapore kitchen & I customised it a little bit to suit our tastes buds. If you want to make Pepper Prawns you can follow the same recipe but just skip the boiling process.
- 4 Big Flower crabs cleaned & cut into half
- 2.5 Tbsp Black pepper corns
- 4 Tbsp Black soya sauce
- 1 Knorr Chicken cube
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 Tspn sugar
- 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 cups water
- In a big pot boil 4 cups of water with 1 tbsp of soya sauce. While the water is boiling add in the crabs into it.
- Close lid & let it cook for about 5mins.
- Make a paste of Black pepper, ginger garlic, soya sauce in a blender
- In a large wok/Pan add in 2 tbsp of butter & fry onions until translucent.
- Add in the black pepper paste, Knorr chicken cube, sugar lemon juice & saute well until fat separation.
- Now tip in the crabs to the masala, add in some broth from the pot.
- Close lid & cook the crabs for another 5 mins. Add more broth if required. (I added around 2 cups of broth)
- Finally garnish the dish with coriander leaves.
Here is the step by step picture that will help you further understand the process.
Boil water add soya sauce & crab to the boiling water & cook for 5 mins
Step 2: Make a fine paste with pepper, ginger garlic, remaining soya sauce.
- Add Butter into the pan, fry onions, add the ground paste, chicken cubes, sugar, lemon juice & saute until fat separation.
- Now tip in the crabs & some broth.Close lid & cook for another 5mins.