I made this cake a month ago for my Hubby's Colleagues daughters bday party at school. The cake was Vanilla Butter cake with Strawberry Swiss meringue Butter cream. The whole cake weighed around 4.5 kgs & was 9 inch long . The cake had four layers of filling & served around 40 people.
I was very happy with the outcome of Dora figurine. A big thank you to you tube videos. It took me 3 trails before I could make the nearest perfect looking figurine. All the figurine is made of gum paste. The fondant is home made Marshmallow fondant which taste better than the regular one. Since I have a small oven I had to bake 4 times in 6 by 6 inch square pan. I am so much in love with Swiss Meringue butter cream that I don't want to make the regular butter cream. If you would like to know more on how I made this cake, you can email me & I am happy to help.
If you are planning to make this big a cake then you need to bake 4 batches of Vanilla Butter Pound cake in 6inch square Pan
Click here for Pound cake recipe.
Please note since the pan is wide the cake will not be very tall, so you need to bake another 4 batches of cake & fill each cake layer with butter cream (Only 3 cakes enough for this). Each cake will be 2- 2.5 inches tall. I used the 4th cake to fill on one side to make the cake 9 inch long. (Patch work)
Strawberry Swiss Meringue Butter cream Recipe
- 4 tbsp Strawberry Puree(For recipe click here)
- 4 egg whites in room temperature
- 1.1/2 cup sugar
- 500 gms Butter (Chopped into cubes) Room temperature
- 1/4 tspn salt
- Place whites and sugar in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in an electric beater on medium speed for 5 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high, and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, and add butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Now add strawberry puree, and beat until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Use immediately, or cover, and refrigerate.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth before using
Assembling the cake:
- With a spatula fill in 1 inch thickness butter cream on each layer.
- Now crumb coat the entire cake with butter cream & refrigerate for about 10 mins .
- Remove from refrigerator & frost the cake evenly on all sides. Refrigerate again for another 10 - 15 mins to set.
- Now remove cake & cover it with fondant & decorate.
I watched some tutorials on youtube to learn to make Dora figurine & boots. Click here to watch the video.