This is my 7th post under occasions for BM#27. These days cakes have become an important dish in every occasions. Earlier it was only during kids birthdays, Christmas & Christan weddings. But now cakes are like everyday sweet. For every other celebration we cut a cake. I have made a simple pound cake which can be either eaten just like that or even used for making celebration cakes with frosting.
Pound cake refers to a type of cake traditionally made with a pound of each of four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. The traditional recipe makes a cake much larger than most families can consume, and so the quantity is often changed to suit the size of the cake that is desired. As long as the ratio is preserved, the resulting cake will be identical to that using the traditional recipe. Hence, any cake made with a 1:1:1:1 ratio of flour, butter, eggs, and sugar is also called a pound cake. These cakes are very good under fondant as well. I have slightly twisted this recipe & this came out very nice.
Makes 1, 8 inch round cake
Total Time required: 45 mins- 1 hour
Baking time: 30- 45 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 70 gms butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tspn Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp curd/ Yogurt (Full fat)
- 1 Tspn Baking powder
- 1/2 tspn baking soda
- 8 Inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- OTG Baking oven
- 1 large cake mixing bowl
- Electric beater
- Sieve the dry ingredients & keep aside.
- seperate the eggs yolks from glare
- Cream the butter, egg yolks & powdered sugar for about 2 to 3 mins. Untill its fluffy
- Add in salt, Vanilla essence, curd, 3 tbsp water & all the dry ingredients to this mixture & mix well.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks in a separate bowl.
- Now mix the egg white into the cake batter & give it a good mix, so everything is combined. Do not over mix. You can do this with a spoon or a spatula.
- Prepare the baking Pan by greasing it with butter & line the parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.
- Now pour the cake batter into the pan. Bake this in a preheated oven for about 35- 45 mins at 180 degree. Or until toothpick insert comes out clean.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#27