This is my 2nd recipe under seasonal for BM#27. Although this is not very seasonal, since its a heavy dish its made on occasions & especially during winters. This dish will keep your stomach full & not make you feel hungry soon:)
Zion is feeling better now but unfortunately I am having food poison & my hubby is also unwell. This was few days ago I had a cream puff from a bakery. It was not so good still I eat it & now having bad stomach pain, loss of appetite & lose motion:(. I haven't been cooking as I am having some kind of aversion towards food, like I used to feel when I was pregnant. I made this Kofta curry 3 days ago. It is the recipe, from the ancient Mughlai cuisine. They also say this is a Pakistani recipe & Mostly made in Muslim Houses. In this classic recipe mince meat are stuffed around boiled eggs and served in delicious curry. Add it to dinner party menu and catch the appreciation. You can either serve this as Appetiser or as main course. I used Home made chicken mince for this recipe. You may add any meat you like. For vegetarians Aloo Paneer will be an ideal option. I also plan to make a vegetarian version sometime soon. Well this dish is very heavy & one piece kind of fills your stomach.
Serves: 4 - 5 people
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger garlic
- 200 gms minced chicken
- 1 tspn chili powder
- 1/4 tspn Cardamom powder
- 1/4 tspn garam Masala powder
- 4 tbspn chopped coriander leaves
- Bread crumbs for coating
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbso ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 6 Cashew nuts
- 1 Tspn Chili powder
- 1/4 tspn Turmeric powder
- 1/4 Tspn cardamom powder
- 1 tspn Garam Masala powder
- 1/4 tspn Cumin powder
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- salt as per taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 Inch cinnamon stick,
- 4 Cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 star aniz
- 2 tbspn oil
- 2 chopped green chilis
- 1.5 cup hot water
- In a mixie/ Ginger jar add boneless chicken pieces, ginger, garlic, chili powder, cardamom powder, garam masala, salt & mince it in a mixer or blender.
- Now take a ball size of minced meat mixture & coat the hard boiled eggs with it. You can use a plastic wrap to easily coat the meat to the eggs.
- Now coat this with bread crumbs & deep fry for 3 to 4 mins on all sides. Set this aside (Now if you want you can cut the Koftas into half & have them as appetisers.)
- For the Gravy: In a pan add oil, fry cinnamon sticks, cardamom, star aniz, cloves, onions until the onions are translucent.
- Now in a mixie jar make a fine paste of Tomatoes, ginger .garlic & cashew nuts
- Add this paste to the pan & all add in the Chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder, Cardamom powder & mix well. Let this cook until fat separation.
- Now add 2 tbsp yogurt, water, salt & bring this to a boil for about 2 mins
- Reduce the flame & add in the koftas into the curry. Simmer this for about 3 to 5 mins & garnish them with green chilis, coriander leaves.
I have tried my best to take step by step pictures:
This is a first step in making koftas. I made the chicken mince at home with some boneless chicken pieces,
This is how you can coat the eggs with minced meat, This is a very easy method & no mess
If you are nothing going to eat the koftas as appetizers than you can fry just for few minutes & cook it longer in the sauce
This is a simple sauce recipe. Since the Koftas are very rich & heavy I dont add any creamin to the sauce.