Stewed Mutton in Aromatic Sauce
This is my 5th post under occasions for BM#27. For any festive occasions Mutton is a must at my place. My mom used to mainly make Mutton curry, biriyani or chops. My mom & me are very different when it comes to cooking. We have our own recipes & try & add in our own spices depending on our mood. We both rarely follow any recipes. We also try be innovative & try hard to take the dish to another level. This is a dish I first tried with Pork ribs & it gave very good results. Since then I have been trying this recipe with Mutton too. This recipe is suitable only for red meat as it is slow cooked for a long time in some spices & sauces. This dish truly flavourful, soft, juicy, yummy, melt in your mouth dish. Can you believe it, that there is absolutely no masala in this dish! This dish is all time favorite in my house. This is how I made this.
- 1 Kg Mutton. I used boneless meat small pieces( Ribs works great)
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 Tbsp. Dark Soya Sauce
- 4 Inch Ginger chopped(Around 1/3 cup, round big pieces)
- 1/3 cup of crushed Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Star Anize
- 3 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 6 inch Lemon grass stalk (Just give it a crush with a heavy knife)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tspn sugar
- 4 Green chilis slit
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- In a heavy bottom Pan or Kadai add oil & fry the mutton along with ginger, garlic & lemon grass untill it is a little brown.
- Now pour in 3 cups hot water, all the sauces, salt , sugar & slow cook this for 1 hours- 1.5 hours untill the meat is tender & soft.
- If in case the water draines off, add in some more water.
- Once the meat is cooked you need to ensure that the water in the pan is drained off.
- You will also see a lot of fat/ Oil in the pan. Since Mutton is fatty it will leave a lot of fat/oil when its cooked.
- Now to this pan add in the green chilis & fry this for a minute or 2.
- The mutton is ready:)
- If you want you can eliminate the green chilis
- The ginger & garlic also will taste great. But if you dont like to see them while eating you can throw away before serving.
- You will have to buy a very good quality mutton to enjoy the real flavour
- The dark color comes from the dark soya sauce I have used.