This is my 4th post for BM#27. Chicken indad is a traditional Mangalorean Christain recipe. This is a thick gravy recipe & we add potatoes, Dates in this dish. This dish is mainly made for weddings & during festival celebration. Although there is dates in this recipe, this is not very sweet. There is a very good balance of flavours. This recipe goes well with Rice, Neer Dosa, Sannas & Akki Rotti. This is how I made this...
- 1 kg chicken (Medium pieces)
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped (for grinding)
- 1 small onion finely sliced (for seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp tamarind paste
- 4 dates
- 2 Tbsp Bafat powder (1 tspn Chili powder+1 tspn cumin powder+2 tspn Corinder powder+1/4 tspn Turmeric powder+1/4 tspn black pepper powder)
- 1 Tbsp ginger & garlic mince
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium size potatoes
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cut the chicken into medium size pieces, wash & allow to drain.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into round shape 2 inch thickness.
- Grind the 2 onions, tamarind paste, dates, bafat powder, ginger & garlic to a fine paste.
- In a large wok heat some Coconut oil and fry the finely sliced onion till it turns translucent
- Add the ground masala and fry on low flame till the raw onion smell disappears (this can take about 4-5 minutes)
- Add in the potatoes and salt to taste and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes
- Now add the chiken pieces into this close lid & cook for about 8 to 10 mins. Add more water if required
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.