I love to east Tofu & I try to make different varities everytime. My hubby has some kind of aversion towards Tofu. He sometimes even refuses to taste the Tofu dish. Yesterday he was sulking to eat it & finally took a small spoon of it. He puts a small portion in his mouth & he is quitely eating it without even uttering a word. Within seconds the plate in empty, he fills it again with another serving:) I was so happy that he loved this dish & he is fine now with Tofu. The entire dish got over during dinner time:) Tofu as such is very bland & ots very important to flavour it well. Especially for Indians we are so much used to eating spices. We want our dish to be well balanced in spice, flavour & tanginess. This recipe is very simple as I hate complicated cooking. This can be done in less than 20 mins. This is how I made it.
- 1 cup firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 1 pack white button mushroom chopped
- 1 medium onion layered
- 1 small capsicum cut into big pieces
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger & garlic
- 2 Tbsp good quality light soya sauce
- 7 -8 red chilli's
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 Tspn Vinegar
- 2 tbspn Oil
- 1/4 Tspn red chili powder
- handful of chopped spring onions to garnish
- salt as per taste
- Pour oil in a pan ad fry tofu for about 3 to 5 mins until its a lill firm. Don't over mix or else it will break. Once fried remove & set aside.
- In the same pan add in mushrooms & fry them for about 2 mins. Until all water is drained off. Remove a7 set aside
- In the same pan again add in some oil if required & fry the ginger garlic, red chili's, onion for a minute.
- Now add in Soya sauce,vinegar, red chili powder, tofu, Mushroom, capsicum & give it a good mix.
- Finally garnish this dish with spring onions.
Here are some step by step pictures captured.
- Soya sauce generally has a lot of salt in it. so be careful while adding salt to this dish.