Prawn Ghee roast is a Mangalorean delicacy. In this dish a ground chili paste is fried in Ghee (Clarifies butter) & then the semi cooked Prawns is added to it. You can try this dish with Shrimps, chicken & Paneer too. This is our all time favorite & a little spicy but very tasty dish. I have posted the recipe for this earlier also, but this one has some modification. The earlier one had onion paste in it & can be made as curry. I feel this one is much better than the earlier one. Even the picture & presentation is better here. This is a dry dish and can be had both as starters & main course. Goes very well with steamed rice, neer dosa & Pundi.
Serves: 4 people
Making time: 30 mins
- 20 medium size prawns ( half to 3/4 th kg)
- 10 to 15 roasted Long Red Chilly (Byadgi) . You can remove the seeds if you don't like it spicy. (Generally these chilies are not very spicy but gives a nice color)
- 1/4 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tspn Garlic & 1 Tspn Ginger
- 1/4 Tspn turmeric powder for marinade
- 7 -8 Tbsp Ghee or 1/4 cup of Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 1 Tbspn Coconut oil
- Salt as per taste
- Grind ingredients 2- 6 to a smooth paste.
- Marinate the cleaned prawn with some salt & turmeric powder for about an hour.
- In a Pan/ Kadai add 2 tbspn of ghee & fry the prawns for about 2 mins & remove.
- In the same Pan add rest of ghee & add the ground masala paste, salt. fry this on low flame stirring for about 5 - 8 mins or until fat separation.
- Finally add in the prawns stir well & cook this for about 2 mins. In the end garnish this dish with 1 Tbspn of coconut oil & mix well
This is how the ground Chili masala paste looks like
The masala after frying in ghee