Blogging Marathon #26
Theme: Goan Food
Patoli is a very traditional Goan/ Mangalorean delicacy. As a child we used to looks forward to mummy making these sweet parcels at home. Mummy used to make a big batch of these & we used to have them for breakfast snacks & dessert. These are steamed rice Pan cakes stuffed with coconut, sugar mixture & wrapped in turmeric leaves. Haldi Kole in Konkani mean Turmeric leaves. The unique flavour comes from these leaves. However there are various version of Patoli. Most people also make these on Banana leaves too. People call it ela Ada also. Mostly these are made in the coastal region.
In Singapore turmeric leaves are easily available as most Malaysians use this leaf in their cooking. Most of their curry recipes calls for turmeric leaf. Since I am making Goan food for the BM, this will be my first recipe.
- 8 - 10 med size Turmeric Leaves
- 4 cups of boiled rice (wash & soak in water for 6 to 8 hours)
- 3 cups of grated coconut
- 2.5 cups of sugar
- 3 Tbsp of tosted seseme seeds
- 1/2 Tspn of cardamom powder
- Salt as per taste
- Grind the soaked rice with salt & some water to a smooth thick paste in a mixer. Now pour this mixture into a kadai & keep stirring it until you achieve a dough like consistency. Set this aside to cool down for a while.
- For the stuffing, mix together the coconut, sugar, sesame seeds, cardamom powder & a pinch of salt. Set this aside
- Wash the turmeric leaf & dry they with a paper towel.
- Take a med ball of rice dough in your wet palms and roll the ball into a thick rope.
- Place the dough rope in the center of the leaf and start spreading the dough on both sides. Let it be a half inch thickness or more thinner than that. Cover the whole leaf with this dough mixture. You can wet your hands to spread this easily on the leaf
- Now take around 2 Tbsp of the stuffing mixture & place it on just one side of the leaf & fold the leaf. If you have a small steamer than you can cut this leaf into half. Steam this for about 20 mins. wait for it to cool for 10 to 20 mins & its ready to eat.
- If you don't get turmeric leaves you can use Banana leaf
- I used sugar instead of Jaggery coz my hubby doesn't like the taste of jagerry,