Well this was one of the breakfast recipes that I had bookmarked to make under the Oats category. I never knew that oats are so versatile! I am so impressed with the way these oats recipes have turned up. I really loved the taste of this Upma. I generally hate Upma & very very rarely make them. But these with Oats tasted really nice. A healthy & filling breakfast. The best part is you can add in any veggies you want in it. Here is the recipe & happy cooking/eating:)
Oats Upma Recipe
Serves: 4 Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Quick cooking Oats - 1 cup (Dry roast this for about 5 mins)
- Water - 1.5 cup
- Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- 1/2 Cup Carrots chopped to small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas
- Pinch of Asefotida
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
- 1 Tspn lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies - 1
- Curry leaves - few
- Add 2 Tbsp of oil in a Pan/ Kadai. once the oil is hot add in mustard seeds
- Once they splutter, add onions, curry leaves, green chili's, asifotida & fry until onions are translucent.
- Add in carrots, green peas, turmeric powder & fry this for 2 mins.
- Now add in 1.5 cups of water, salt, sugar & bring this to a boil for about 1 minute.
- Now add in the oats & keep stirring until everything is well mixed. Add in lemon juice, coriander leaves.
- Close the lid & cook this on low flame for about 3 to 4 mins. Open the lid, give it a good mix, check if its cooked & the water is drained off.