This is my 3rd post under Gian food for BM- 26. Elee Belle is nothing but coconut & jaggery stuffed Pan cakes. I have used sugar instead of Jaggery. This is my hubby's Fav & he can eat any number of these:) When we had gone on a holiday to Goa my hubby kept ordering these almost 2 to 3 times a day. In Goa they make different types of filling. I also had chocolate Pancakes, Banana & Peanut butter. However the traditional & the tastier one is with coconut. You can add jaggery instead of sugar.
I remember my school days, how my Mom used to make these for our evening snacks. Mostly my mom used to make these with neer dosa's & sometimes with flour batter. These are very simple to make & can be done under 10 mins. A quick breakfast/ snack or even kids meal.
Pan cake Batter
- 1.5 Cup Maida/ All purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup water (less or more to get the right consistency)
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1.5 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup sugar/ Jaggery
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tspn cardamom powder
- Make a batter with With flour, beaten eggs, salt & water. The batter needs to be thin a little thinner than dosa batter.
- For the stuffing mix all the ingredients mentioned in the list & just microwave it for 30 secs. This will combine the sugar & coconut well.
- Heat the non stick flat Pan (Tawa) Pour a laddle of batter on the Pan & spread it around with the spoon to make it a thin Pan cake.
- Cook only on one side for about a minute or try & lift with a spatula. This comes off easily from the non stick Pan. (I try to fill the Pan cakes with stuffing immediately to avoid any sticking).
- Place a pancake on a plate. Place sufficient coconut filling in the centre, fold both the sides inward or just one side like the way I have done. Make sure that the filling is well covered or roll like a Swiss roll. Follow this process & the Pan cakes are ready to serve.