Last week I made lamb burger at home & decided to bake the buns myself. I have used more of wheat flour in this recipe. If you want you can just use all purpose flour. After making burger buns I had some left over dough. I decided to make some sweet sugar rolled buns for Zion out of it. I was not sure if he would like, but he really loved it & had one full bun on his own:) So this will definitely be one of the recipes i will make more often for him.
Ingredients for buns:
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tspn cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt.
- Combine flour, warm water, yeast, eggs, oil, salt and sugar together until you get a smooth, slightly sticky dough. I mixed it with hand & you can use kitchen aid if you have.
- Dip your fingertips in some oil and knead the dough until its springy for about 2 mins. Now cover the dough with a kitchen towel or cling wrap, keep it in a warm place
- The dough will double in size in about 45 mins.
- Now punch in the dough with your fingertips. Now the dough is ready for making buns, bread, pizza dough, sugar rolls or pull apart buns.
- I made about 5 big burger buns & made 6 pull apart buns with the left over dough.
- To make the pull apart buns, use a rolling pin to get a long rectangle of about 1/2 inch thickness. Spread the sugar mixture on the dough evenly and start rolling it from the short side in tightly.
- Cut into four to 6 pieces. Place in a lightly buttered baking pan barely touching each other.
- Now allow them to rise for about 10- 15 mins & bake this in the preheated oven at 180 degree for about 20 to 30 mins or untill its nicely browned.
- Once you remove them out from oven, cover them with a kitchen towel. Doing this will keep your buns very well moisturised & soft.
- You can add some butter on top of these buns if required.
- You can add any filling in the buns. I am making these for the 3rd time & every time I have used a different filling.
- You can also make these with just all purpose flour & it gives a nice white colour texture to the buns.