I love this X'mas season & the fruit cake too. Fruit cake/Plum cake is very commonly found in all Kerala Bakeries. However this is not so common in other parts of the world. This cake is mostly made during X'mas & it has Alcohol in it. In this particular recipe I haven't soaked the dry fruits in rum for too long. This is more of a instant fruit cake. However I will be making another one soon which will be more richer than this:) This recipe is a tasty & easy one.
- 2 cups dry fruits( Cherries, cranberry, raisins, sultanas, candid orange peel)
- 1/4 cup Rum/Brandy
- 1/2 cup walnuts or any nuts of your choice
- 2 cups of Flour
- 3 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups of powdered brown sugar
- 1 Tspn Baking powder
- 150 gms of butter
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tspn nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tspn cardamom powder
- 3 crushed cloves
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (1/2 cup brown sugar & 1/4 cup water)
- Soak all the dry fruits in 1/4 cup rum for 10 mins or 24 hours. Cover tightly, and store at room temperature. (Dust them with flour before you add it to the cake batter)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a 6x3-inch round pan or loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a heavy bottom pan add 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1/4 cup water & cook this for about 5 mins until its gets brown. Make sure you don't burn this mixture. Keep this sauce aside in a cup.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg & caramel sauce. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & cardamom powder. Stir in soaked fruit and chopped nuts(dusted with flour). Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 80 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove & then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons rum or icing sugar.