Mini Mango Curry
This curry is made using small ripe mangoes that are available only during raining season in coorg & Mangalore. I am not sure if you get this anywhere else. Well I found similar to these here in Singapore & they are called Thailand small Mangoes. They look very riped & cute but they don’t taste as good as the ones that I have had in India. Back home we called these mangoes in Kannada, Kaadu Mavinkai (Means Forest Mangoes) or Raan Ambo in Konkani. We love these mangoes &the curry is just out of this world. These mangoes are green in color yet they are riped, Tangy, sweet. These are purely seasonal & my Mom used to preserve these in a jar using salt. My mouth is watering while I am typing these lines …. Hmmmmm. If you are pregnant, I am sure you will feast on theseJ. For this curry, you need to remove the skin of the mango or else the skin can give a bitter taste.
- 10- 15 Mini Mangoes (peel off the skin)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/ 4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp. Cumin Powder
- ½ Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 4 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
- 1 Inch Ginger chopped
- 1 Tsp. Mustard seeds
- 10- 15 curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- pinch of Asefotida
- Salt as per taste
- 2 cups of water
- Boil Mangoes in a pot with water, Chili powder, turmeric powder & salt for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now in a Pan/Kadai add oil when it’s hot, add in the Mustard seeds.
- Once they crackle, add ginger, garlic & saute for few minutes.
- Now add in cumin powder, coriander. Fry this for few seconds in oil.
- Add curry leaves & the boiled Mango along with the stock.
- Cook this on low flame for about 5 to 8 minutes. Add water if required.
Tasty, Juicy, sweet, tangy & spicy Mango Curry is ready.